Skip to main content

In the Beginning...



So. My first blog based on my love of photography.  I've had blogs before, venting while going through a divorce, my love of video games, raising a special needs child...but this one is special. I have loved taking photos for my whole life, took selfies way back in the day on Polaroid cameras, and was a bit of a perfectionist who annoyed my "models" ie, my little sister and her friends. But now, now I am trying to learn how to do things right, and not annoy too many people in the process, although I've already accomplished that just today. So...My NEW first blog. Has that new book smell, I think.  Here I will share my newest pictures,  brief descriptions, and my weekly challenges that I'm hoping will teach me a thing or two. That's the plan. I expect to learn patience if nothing else. So.  Sigh. I'm a happily married mom with four sons, two dogs and a strange cat. Kids are growing up and moving out, my autistic son Chris is my handy sidekick, same for my pitbull, Angel, who we call Pups. I have no idea why, but we do, and we use "Angel Marie" when she's in trouble, like normal pet parents do.

  I've been using a cheap digital camera bought from Walmart for $89, and have taken some pretty good shots.



This is Pups, my first model with my first digital camera.

I also took my son's senior photos myself with the same camera:





I really didn't know what I was doing,but they came out pretty well for a novice, and they went into the yearbook, so I am a published photographer, of sorts. 

After that I moved on to corny prom pics: 



I took hundreds but I'll spare you. You get the drift, I have a lot to learn!

Pitbulls have a lot of energy to burn, so I take mine to the lake every morning when the weather is warm enough, and she loves to swim out and catch tennis balls. Like every other mom of my age group, I often shared photos of this on Facebook.  I shared this one day this past summer: 


Everyone on my FB page knows I'm a little obsessed with my dog, but they humor me and put up with Pups spam, occasionally Merc spam too, my Pappy-Jack, who knows he is the second best in our home, and he accepts it by vomiting in my car almost daily. He's a nervous fellow. Anyway, this pic above got a lot of likes and comments, even with the bad lighting and poor quality.  I entered a few online photo contests,  and got the fever. I wanted to be a better photographer, I want better photos, period. 

TLDR? I'm excited to learn, and need an outlet, which will be here. I have a new, "non expensive but better than what I had already" digital camera, a Kodak Pixpro AZ252 that my hubby picked up for my birthday earlier this month, also from Walmart, for about $130. I'll learn my craft and then appeal for a really fancy camera, right now I'm enthralled with this one.  

To show the difference just $40 in price does, these pictures were taken on my birthday. 



I wanted to catch the sunrise in Port Clyde, Maine, and the first picture is of Marshall Point Lighthouse,  taken right after the sunrise. 

A few hours later, after a stop for an SD card for my camera at Walmart, my hubby spontaneously bought me my new camera, when he saw how inexpensive it was and knew how much I wanted a new toy. The second picture is of Pemaquid Point, taken with the new camera, which took me quite a while to figure out how to turn on! Much better photo, huh? Same day, same photographer. 

I love sites like ViewBug, Photocrowd, and 500px. So many photos, ideas, and great photographers to get inspired by! Instant feedback, critiques, and helpful people to learn from. Sometimes I feel like a little, boring needle in a giant, colorful haystack on these sites, but like I said, I'm learning, and that's really what it's all about, for me. 

I am excited to see how well I improve, and what new techniques I can master, or at least bluff my way through.  Every week I will pick something new for me to focus on, right now I seem to be all over the place, shooting landscapes, pets, food, strangers on the street, just about anything and everything.  I also enjoy editing, have Photoshop but haven't learned that yet (also on my to-do list), I use an app called Snapseed for some of my basic, fun editing, more so with my older camera, I find all I need to do is tweak many of my new photos, or edit them just for fun. 

Thank you for hanging around, I hope I can inspire someone to learn something new, if I can do it as an old broad nearing 50, anybody can! It has yet to be determined if I can indeed, learn something useful, but useful to me counts, right? Right? 

Updated to add a link, HERE, so you can check out my istock portfolio:)

And my Adobe portfolio HERE

My shutterstock portfolio HERE





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've been uber busy!

I had so much free time on my hands when I began this challenge for myself, then my hubby got hurt, my kid got engaged and is shopping for a new home, just life. Life is happening. I have only taken a handful of photos in the past week, let alone join any challenges. It doesn't help that my computer died completely and my electronically helpful son has had food poisoning and hasn't had a chance to come by and look at it for me. Hubby's stitches are due to come out today, my teen needs to get 70 driving hours in, my disabled son just wants me to get in the car and drive, anywhere. Oy! Did I mention my washer and dryer recently died on me as well? Laundry mats are super fun! Said no one, ever. Anywho, I'm hoping for a few moments to get some photos up today. Would be so much easier with a computer, but I will "suffer" through on my tablet. :) All is good in the world, just a little chaotic at the moment. Hope everyone is having a great day! So far anyway. It...

First Post This Year!

I hope you had a fun and safe New Year!  As I mentioned before, my wedding anniversary was on New Year's Eve, so my hubby took me to our favorite place for a Scorpion Bowl, or two 😉.  Took a couple of my kids with us to drive, one of the perks of having a houseful of teens, I guess!   My awesome hubby bought me flowers, of course, which I promptly disassembled and took pictures of, and played around in Photoshop,  on my NEW LAPTOP that Santa (or my son's and hubby) bought me for Christmas.  I was so excited! Still am, thus all the explanation points. (!!!) Pretty, right? They are pretty all together in their vase too, I assure you.  Ok, I took a quick pic with my cell phone, just to show he did indeed buy me a "bunch" of flowers, not just the two I edited above. :) And a card too! Since I was in such a good mood, and my profile pic on HERE is now from last year, I took a selfie, cause...

Day 7: Figure out Presets/Overlays

Since I've been trying to peddle my photos I haven't had time to enter the weekly challenges at ViewBug or Photocrowd,  but I'm still challenging myself every day. I have been told that presets on Lightroom or Photoshop will save me hours of editing time, so I'm going to try to figure it all out. I'm old, what can I say? Here is the original: The first overlay is called Woodland Fairy: This is Storybook 4 The third is Vintage Lace 6: All 3 overlays I bought from Lemon and Lace Studios, as part of the "Complete Store Bundle" Check them out here . So, some of the tones just don't work with this particular photo, I just wanted to try them out and figure out what I was doing. This whole thing is an ongoing learning experience for me! I've only had Photoshop/Lightroom for ten days or so, I am learning the very basics still. But I'm impatient and want to jump right in! Did you know you could buy Photo...